Sunday, March 2, 2014

No-Egg Pancakes

Pancakes are a standard on the weekends in our home, but occasionally we are in the mood for "breakfast for dinner".  I'm not sure that we have ever had no-egg pancakes before this particular evening.  It's not that we wanted or needed to make pancakes without eggs.  It just so happened that my family was in the mood for pancakes, but we were a little low on the grocery staples. Actually we were more than a little low, we didn't have eggs, milk, or oil! How does that happen?  I must have done a lot of baking that week.  It figures that the one thing they wanted required all those items.

You know when you are in the mood for something, and you are bound and determined to get it. Well, that was my family.  I am not one of those "run-to-the-grocery-store-last-minute" kind of people, so that was not about to happen. Instead, I put on my super-mom cape and came up with what I hoped would satisfy their craving.


Here are the ingredients I used to make this recipe.


    • NO-EGG PANCAKES

    • 1 C. white flour
    • 3 Tbs. white sugar
    • 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 2 1/2 Tbs. vanilla yogurt
    • 3/4 c. water
    • Egg substitute
  • Egg Substitute

    • 1 Tbs. ground flaxseed
    • 3 Tbs. water
This is a small batch recipe, but it can easily be doubled.  The recipe as is will yield 8-10 no-egg pancakes.  The batter is thick, so it is a bit deceiving.  


When I make pancakes on the weekend I like to make a large batch and freeze the left over ones.  My kids like to have them available to them during the school week.  If they are running late they pop one or two in the microwave, grab a banana, and head to school.

Here's how to prepare my No-egg pancakes:

  • Egg substitute


    Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and let sit while preparing other ingredients. This allows the mixture to thicken.


  • Pancake mix


    Combine first 4 ingredients and mix. Add yogurt, water, and egg substitute. Cook on cast iron skillet or electric skillet. Batter will take a little longer to cook through than traditional pancake batter.  They are ready to flip when they are nice and browned.


If you haven't cooked on cast iron, take a look at my post about cooking with cast iron.  It's a healthy way to cook, and there's all kinds of cookware.

After preparing these no-egg, no-milk, no-oil pancakes, I ended up even impressing myself! They turned out light, fluffy, and a little sweet. I served mine with oranges because the tartness of the oranges brought out the sweetness of the pancakes. If you prefer your pancakes less sweet you can use plain yogurt or you may skip the sugar.

The next time you are running low on traditional baking ingredients and have a hunger for pancakes give this recipe a try OR try it just because they are delicious!  This is also a great recipe for those of you that have egg allergies.  Give them a try and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You may also like: