Monday, December 2, 2013

Wine Review - Bottaro Red Table Wine

While looking for a nice table wine, we ran across this very unique looking bottle.  We've had table wines before and know what we like, but thought "what the heck, let's try something new!".  Being attracted to something because it's unique isn't unusual, unless you are a teen trying to fit in!  Well, lucky for us we are not teens.  And even more lucky for us wine drinkers, there is quite a large selection.  

There are quite a few types of wine; Moscato, Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Merlot, Reisling.  The price can range too, from $2.99 to ....well, more than I can afford! And just so you know, there are good and bad wines in all price levels.  Yet another way to select your wine is by region.  You may find that you like Moscato, and would like to try other wines from Italy.  

As the picture displays, you want to drink red wines in a large rounded glass.  I recommend that the glass has a stem for you to hold.  If it doesn't your hand will warm the wine, which will change the aroma and flavor.  If you store your red wine at room temperature, it is best to put it in the refrigerator for about a half hour to bring the temperature of the wine to 64-66 degrees. 

The wine pictured is a Red Table Wine with 12% alcohol by volume.  My first impression of this wine, other than it having a uniquely shaped bottle, and after allowing it to breathe, was that it had a one dimensional aroma.  I took in the aroma a few times before taking a sip to be certain of my evaluation.  The flavor was also one dimensional, earthy.  For me, the flavor went from tart to bitter.  I also tried it with food.  This did not enhance the flavor, as food sometimes does by opening your palate.  The more I drank it the drier it became, which is completely fine, especially if you like dry wine.  Personally I do not like dry wine, but my husband does.  His assessment was the same as mine though.  It wasn't a bad tasting wine, but we both agreed it isn't a wine that we would purchase again.  


I am no expert, but I have had the pleasure of trying a variety of wines and I know what I like.  As I stated, my husband likes dry wine and I do not, but there are quite a few wines that we both enjoy.  We both like local wines from Soaring Wings Vineyard, but while at a different local tasting room I tried a Pinot Grigio from Italy and loved it.  My husband prefers red wine to white wine, so in that instance he did not agree with me.  Determining what wine you like comes down to trying a variety and taking the time to receive the aromas and flavors that the wine has to offer.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You may also like: