Saturday, December 7, 2013

Wine Review - Hans Schummer Riesling

It has been a while since I have enjoyed a Riesling.  I have a couple girlfriends that enjoy them, but I have not seen them in while, so I presume that is part of the reason. Also as I mentioned in my last wine review, my husband is not a fan of white wine.  We like to enjoy our wine together, so we've been buying reds.  

I'm hooked on a reasonably priced Shiraz right now, so how can I pass up buying it? Inexpensive and Shiraz (my favorite type of wine), nothing can beat that!  My next review will be on this particular Shiraz, so keep your eyes open for that.

Recently, I mentioned to my husband that I haven't had a Riesling in a while. Considering I decided to do wine reviews, what better time for him to surprise me with one.  The Riesling he selected is Hans Schummer.  As you can tell by the name, it's German. Riesling grapes are native to Germany, but you will find Riesling from the west coast too.  This particular one was under $10.  The wines that I will be reviewing will all be under $20

A couple tips that I would like to mention for appreciating white wine are:

  1. If you do not have a wine chiller, refrigerate it for about 20 minutes to chill the wine as Rieslings and other white wines tastes better chilled.
  2. Serve in a tapered not rounded wine glass, this keeps the fruity aroma at the top and keeps the wine from being exposed to oxygen. 
  3. If you do not typically enjoy white wine, experiment with fruit - something juicy like strawberries or cantaloupe.  
  4. If you would like to serve it with cheese, serve it with Blue Cheese.         

Now let's get to the review...

Hans Schummer Riesling has a very pleasant aroma.  It smells like apples, which is typical of Rieslings, but this Riesling actually has apple, honey and lime.  When inhaling you can also detect the honey, which was warm and inviting.  I did not detect the lime at that time.  Being it had such a wonderful aroma, I could not wait to taste it.  It has a light, crisp flavor that is slightly tart from the apples. It also has a sweetness to it that is derived from the honey.  Another pleasant surprise is the lime flavor you pick up after you swallow.  From the lime, you also get a subdued dryness. Some Rieslings can be very dry, while others can be very sweet. I was pleased with how Hans Schummer was not too sweet, nor too dry.  While drinking this wine, I had to stop a few times and enjoy the bouquet.

As you can tell, I enjoyed this wine very much.  My husband decided to try this wine with me, and he is glad he did.  So am I!  He is the perfect example of someone saying "I do not like white wine.".  He was willing to try it, and ended up broadening his wine palate. Now there is a white wine that we can enjoy together. I will be adding this to the list of wines for me to stock up on!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You may also like: